Monday, June 13, 2011

scenes from [last] weekend...

Scenes from last weekend?

I just got back to posting last week, how could I fall off so quickly?

Well, I was fiancé-sitting. {excuse} But really. I was. David had his wisdom teeth pulled Thursday morning and I am super-strange about how I divide my time. I make arbitrary rules for myself {more to come on that front another time} and, as I've said many times, I am a creature of habit. When David is home I spend my time with him.  And therefore scenes from last weekend were never blogged and based on our weekend there were no scenes worth capturing.

This weekend I was tasked as care giver. I had to change David's gauze and try to get him to eat at least a little. Now, I have always considered myself a maternal person. I know I'm domestic, I kind of thought maternal went with the bag. Well, not so much. I love to cook and, for the most part, actually enjoy cleaning. But I think I failed this test. David wasn't by any means a needy patient. Actually, he slept most of the time. I just felt like I should be doing more. Checking on him etc. I tried to limit his walking around, but often was stopping him more often than preventing him {if that makes any sense}. I really sat around doing nothing. I am currently missing my maternal instinct. Perhaps it will come when I feel like we're closer to the children stage. Don't get me wrong, I'm great with kids, but when it comes to ache or illness {or irritation, for that matter, though that wasn't a factor in this instance} I lack all sympathy. Okay, that's an exaggeration. When David was in pain I was very attentive. I wished I could do more. But when it comes to his concerns about whether or not things are normal, my feeling is always that "you're fine." I'm just, for whatever reason, a bit too tough. This toughness comes out in force when it comes to illness and injury. Meaning: I typically say "it's fine" unless there is evidence that whatever it is is not fine, like severe swelling, bone breaking the skin, coughing up blood. Clearly extreme cases {none of which we've actually experienced}, but trips to the doctor are preventative and otherwise rare. My lack of sympathy makes me feel guilty, but it is what it is.

So what did I do for those four days? I made endless bowls of soup. Ran to the grocery to hold us over until we can do a full trip. A few chores {i had to do the dishes. who knew a sick person tore through so many? the piles were killing me.}. And I ate. A lot. All weekend (which spanned Thursday to Sunday). No gym. But I certainly ate. 

This has been a new trend for me. Eat when I'm hungry, try to be healthy during the week. {though, looking at my weekday diet, I think healthy is even a stretch} Then when the weekend comes I let myself eat junk. Tons of junk. Almost exclusively junk. I typically skip dinner, being so full of junk I'm not hungry. This weekend was a bit more problematic because it spanned more than half of a week. On top of that it seemed like I was trying to out-do my eating with each passing day. {and again with my lack of sympathy, some might not eat in solidarity or sympathy pain for the other. this proved quite the opposite for me.}

I would certainly consider myself a bulk eater. I would rather eat a bowl of snack food than a real meal {whether it's popcorn or grapes or broccoli, I choose what I can eat most of}. That methodology usually works out. That is, when I'm trading these snacks for that meal. It also works when I have structure. This care-taker weekend was an example of the plan not working. I had no structure. We literally didn't do anything. I had nothing to frame my day around. Our wake-sleep cycles were off. The weather was awful. I was still off from our recent trips. Plus, no scone or croissant traditions with David not being up to solid food. All-in-all: recipe for disaster. So, now, back to normal. But this time a new normal. An improved normal. And David will join my revamp once he's back to full speed {and after we go out for his first solid meal - he wants to do it right}. {and i've totally lost focus}

So, now, on to scenes from last weekend. And there is only one to speak of:


May I introduce Chocolate Chip Bacon Brown Sugar Scones.

These were intended to be Bacon Chocolate Chip Scones but I went a bit overboard with the chocolate chips. When the mix was dry it all looked in balance...it was not. Next time {meaning next time we take this route, which will not be next time we make scones. never the same thing twice}

Chocolate Chip Bacon Brown Sugar Scones
makes 8 massive scones or 12-16 regular scones

3 cups all purpose flour
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 tsp salt
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, cubed and chilled
1 cup buttermilk (I did about an 1/8-1/4 cup more than this but the dough came out a bit too moist)
10 slices bacon, crisped and crumbled
1 cup chocolate chips (next time I will reduce all the way down to 1/3 cup)

Preheat the oven to 400° F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.

In the bowl of a food processor, combine the flour, sugar, salt, baking powder and baking soda. Pulse to combine. Add butter. Pulse to form a coarse meal with pieces of butter no larger than pea-sized. Add bacon and chocolate chips. Pulse to distribute. Stream in buttermilk, pulsing just until dough starts coming together.

Turn dough out onto a floured surface. Pat to pull dough together. Knead slightly to even consistency. Roll to 3/4-inch thickness. Fold in thirds. Repeat, folding in thirds in the opposite direction. Roll to 3/4-inch thick disk. Cut into wedges. Transfer to baking sheet. If desired, brush tops with egg wash. Sprinkle with sugar (or cinnamon sugar - mmmm).

Bake 20-25 minutes, begin checking at 15 minutes, or until evenly golden.

Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. I like that you put these recipes on! I don't know if scones would be a good dessert, but it makes me think of these Iron Chef dinners we'd do with our friends, and one time someone put bacon as a secret ingredient, and I didn't know how bacon would work in a dessert. But now I know it at least can go with chocolate chip scones!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my dearest Lisa, bacon is a great dessert ingredient! I love any balance of salty and sweet. Someone on Next Food Network Star just made chocolate chip pecan pies with a bacon graham cracker crust!

    XO

    ReplyDelete