Wednesday, April 20, 2011

be mine.

We're almost 4 months into our engagement and I have not yet asked a soul to stand next to me as a bridesmaid {or maid of honor}.

Not for lack of consideration.

Actually, I've given the subject a lot of thought.

I'd decided on the desired size and composition on about December 25th.

David and I are the worst at keeping friends, so we knew we wanted a very intimate group. That's not to say it's the smallest wedding party {in my mind that would consist of one for me, one for him} but an intimate group.

We often discuss adding more to my side. There are more than a million arguments for adding friends that have meant {and mean} so much to me.

We always come back to the start.

There is no perfect answer. So, like the first testing tip you ever learn, go with your first answer.

So, how to ask?

How do other people ask? E-mail? No freakin' way. I'm not judging but... {four words that, combined, mean something quasi-judgemental is probably coming next} people don't really do that, right? Face-to-face? Ideal. But now I live in Rhode Island {makes things a little tricky}. Phone call? An option, but such a small group deserves a bit more. Letter, card, package? Definitely makes the distance a little more personal and personal is key.

What are the folks on the dot com doing?

A gift? Simple as a bottle of wine. {me - but not me enough}. Elaborate as a box of goodies. {easy killer we are on a budget}.


A photo gift? Popular, it seems. Nice gift. {but, while I love photography, this one just doesn't say me}.


Baked goods? Sweet & eat. Fab.


A nice card? I looooooove any excuse for a card. There are some great ones out there, too.


Love the letterpress. {surprise}. The little pack of details is great too. {but I think I want to start off the bride-bridesmaid relationships with a bit less neuroticism}.

Again, fun & detailed.


My personal fav. {I could never master the chain of paper dolls}.

And one for the boys:


Obviously, I want it to be personal. I want each of my girls to know how much it would mean for them to be there, standing with me.

At this point, I think they know it's coming. There is only so much surprise you can keep.

But the how - I'm the only one that knows. I have the picture in my head. Now it's a matter of execution. I've always been moderately crafty. Here's the test!

Pictures will follow once the invitations have been delivered {and hopefully accepted}.

No comments:

Post a Comment