Tuesday, April 12, 2011

scenes from this weekend...


Such a Spring-y weekend.

I started my Saturday with a super-delicious grapefruit (with a bit of Truvia). Then it was up to Natick to find clothes. I wanted an Easter dress. Result: ring cleaning and lunch at Nordstrom. {who knew their café had such yummy food?} I really need to make an effort to capture my non-domestic food adventures. David had a steak sandwich. I opted for the beet salad: spring greens, roasted beets, goat cheese, candied pecans (I added avocado), all dressed with black cherry balsamic vinaigrette. A simply irresistible combination. It was a-mazing!!! However, I wished I'd added tomatoes. That would have been perfection.

That salad marked the end of my eating quasi-healthily. As soon as we returned home I couldn't eat enough. Anything I could get handfuls of I ate. I started with the healthiest (by comparison) air-popped popcorn with alt and butter. I love popcorn - all kinds, kettle corn, Smartfood, movie theater...I digress. I think I moved on to ice cream next. But I was on such a spree that I don't remember. Then, when David had dinner, I polished off his box of Cheez-Its. I decided random junk would be a great replacement for a more balanced dinner.

I don't even know where the desire came from. I don't restrict myself. No food is ever off limits. It just so happens that during the week, when I'm regularly going to the gym, I eat pretty healthily. As I am a total slave to cravings, I have to credit my body for keeping me pretty straight-laced. On the weekends I don't really pay as much attention to what I eat (protein, fat - whatever, who cares?). I do try to get some color (read fruit & veggies) into my diet, especially since my junk intake is higher. This weekend, specifically, was out of control.

***Skip to astricks below if you've had enough of this food-venture***

Sunday, despite my resolve to do well, we enjoyed our new tradition: Willy-Sonoma croissants. A bit of light & flaky heaven - no problem yet. Lunch started with oatmeal. Then an apple (and lots of Skippy Natural Chunky Peanut Butter, my current obsession) served as my attempt at taking the healthy path. That quickly deteriorated into more of the same from the day before.

Oprah says she can't eat potato chips due to their irresistible nature...I'm in the same boat. One of my specific weaknesses is for Ruffles. {almost} No chip compares. Imitators don't {usually} come close. That was until we discovered Wise Ridgies. Plus, I love the name. David brought the bag over with his lunch. Bad plan with the junk food destroyer sitting next to him. Eventually he took the bag away. But, not before the damage was done. {I fell asleep at some point after my feast so I managed to make it to dinner without further incident}

Now, this isn't just a "skinny girl" rant. Perhaps still annoying, but so went my weekend! I wasn't saddened by my epicurean selections, just surprised by the insatiable nature of my weekend junk food needs.

I think the whole adventure threw off my food signals yesterday though. I didn't get hungry {one's normal cue to eat}. I found myself consciously trying to decide if I was hungry or not - even then my belly wanted no part of solving the mystery. This led to my using physical shakiness to indicate hunger. One major caveat to this method: too little, too late. By the time I recognized that I needed to eat, I didn't have the strength or focus to make it through getting my meal together, which led to inhaling my meal and feeling worse than when I started. {it didn't help that David was scheduled to work til 7:30 so I was trying to wait for him, only to find out that he would be late - after 10 late}

Fortunately, the excitement of the weekend + Monday has been reset and today I have been normal. So far.

***

Sunday was also a day of planting. I'm so excited for these little seedlings to start.

Last year, we miss the timing for starting our herbs so they only enjoyed a short life before it got cold.

This year we went with super sweet grape tomatoes, yellow pear grape tomatoes, rosemary, basil, chives, thyme & sage. We skipped parsley. It's affordable and it just doesn't grow as lusciously as what can be purchase.

We bought a seed-starting kit this year too. Hopefully, that will get things moving a little faster. I'm like a child. I check the "greenhouse" often. I'm so excited.

We had also picked up some cut tulips. Again, I was captivated by the golden hue. {sidenote: the grocery store had no more Opal apples - I spent 10 minutes in produce hunting} I know the cut tulips will die faster than almost any other flower I've picked up. They're just so lovely...

{not pictured:
*our delicious lunch from Nordstrom's Bistro
*my diet of junk
*croissants - you saw them last week - Sunday breakfast
*baked ziti - Sunday dinner}

No comments:

Post a Comment