Thursday, April 7, 2011

the trigger man


Is that not the cutest butter dish you've ever seen?

I met this little fella at Anthropologie about 100 years ago. I fell in love.

I left him that day. Didn't make the purchase. I have never forgotten the little treasure. I even talk to David about "that whale butter dish" on occasion.

Of course I romanticize my decision not to buy. I think of him as an inexpensive little indulgence that I let pass me by.

In trying to find a picture to share, I found that he is still available, just not from Anthro. He's a Jonathan Adler piece. And he costs $68. I'm guessing my decision not to bring this little bit of happiness into my home was because I would feel completely mental spending $68 on a butter dish!

He's still a love lost.

The sting of love lost: part ii.
{Modern Heraldry rug via Modite}

The "Modern Heraldry" rug. Again, Anthropologie. {their home buyers do such a good job}

As I have mentioned, our apartment is painted grey. We are always on the lookout for a great rug for the living room. We saw one on Kathy Griffin: Life on the D-List that we completely fell for. It was pink and red and orange. It would bring so much life to this room. We couldn't find any info on it anywhere (it was only shown in someone's house).

This ray of sunshine was the first rug we found that we thought would fit the room perfectly...great looking rugs are surprisingly hard to find.

We didn't buy it. Now, it's gone.

At the time, it was money we could (and probably should) spend elsewhere - or save. Now, it would have been a great addition to the room.

David and I are savers. We cannot pull the trigger. Unless it's true love - or we're in desperate need. And even then we struggle. 

This has tested true with everything. 

We held on to my old laptop until the threat of it dying for good was imminent. We ate at our coffee table for lack of a dining room table for 9 months here! We do it with clothes all the time. We stick with our standbys and only buy new things when we can't live without them. 

This weekend we went out with the intent to spend. We came home with a receipt for 2 shirts David had to special order, a honey dipper, a brown sugar saver, and some concealer. Our mission for a new wardrobe: clearly a bust.

The moral of the story: if you love it. Buy it.

{Please note: Future indecision is likely and lack of trigger pull will likely remain unchanged}

No comments:

Post a Comment